privacy and Android [wsa Re: Debugging droid mta]

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 22 18:50:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
<snip>
> I don't want to mod my phone, but I will if needs be.
>

>> - smart phones may well be bugged by the suppliers.  For example:
>>  <http://www.xda-developers.com/android/the-rootkit-of-all-evil-ciq/>

I'm in the same boat... and when I can get my hands on some additional
hardware, I'm going for Plan 9 on my phone:
<https://bitbucket.org/floren/inferno/wiki/Home>

>> All the things that got said a decade or more ago about us living in
>> Bentham's Panopticon seem to slowly becoming true.  Consider, for
>> example,
>> <http://www.privacylives.com/washington-post-eyes-turn-to-license-plate-readers/2011/11/21/>
>
> I call this running towards Orwell with arms wide open. Orwell didn't
> tell us that at first everyone loved big brother. It wasn't until the
> institution of the "two minute hate" that people started to balk.
>

>> Consider how the TTC is likely going to switch to smart cards -- way
>> more traceable than tokens.

Excellent example, and a reminder I need to finish an article.  I
brought this up to some msm writers & media types several weeks back
(I'll save my story for the article ;-) - there does appear to be some
interest from Toronto and Hamilton papers.

When I first raised the issue, I referred to Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother":
<http://projects.psema4.com/ppca/openmedia/Cory_Doctorow_-_Little_Brother.htm#MyConcernAboutPresto>

(I can't wait for the sequel!)

>> The ways we lose privacy are manifold but not manifest.  Our
>> understandings of privacy cannot encompass the complexity of the
>> current and developing systems.
>
> As individuals we cannot "know it all" it is only in groups which
> foster open and sometimes out of the box discussion within the group,
> where adequate individual solutions/protections are developed.

^ This: +1

<snip>

--
  Scott Elcomb