Setting up a Small Server Room

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 18:39:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 01:17:09PM -0500, Ted wrote:
> don't need 2 racks for that.
> That's a HP blade system, 3/4 of a rack, ups, kvm, redundant, etc.
> I have designed a few, but i am intrigued by the latest claims
> of AC free low power servers. AC can be a nightmare as it will
> eventually break and leave your equipment in a sauna :(.
> Cost? HP based,  with your own storage (as apposed to a NetApp, etc),
> 90k$ before cooling. If its worth doing, and down time would be
> costly for you,

I was going to guess $50000, but I certainly wasn't thinking of blades.
I know where I work we have one blade server, and if the IT department
gets to have their way it will be the only one we ever have.  They hate
it for some reason.  And I have no idea what AC costs to install either.

> i would recommend only hp or ibm equipment.

Never had an issue with IBM gear.  I don't particularly like HP stuff.

> I would also recommend a additional unit as a backup to your backup,
> redundancy as dual, means you have none when your first piece fails :)
> If you want to build it yourself, and go cheap but quality, then 2-3 U cases
> with asus server boards. (be 60% the price, but use up more rack).
> Just my 0.02. In my experience with HP blade systems,
> 5years, 30+ blades, no failures. And multi-year uptimes.

Can't disagree with that.

--
Len Sorensen