unborking tlug sig

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 21 16:48:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This seems like a Keystone Cops thread.  Here's my simple theory that
> explains everything:
>
> 1) Android's email MUA never sends unencoded plain text.
> 1a) It uses base64, or
> 1b) MIME (and the MIME components are probably encoded too, but that
>    is not relevant).
>
> 2) TLUG's mailing list software tacks a plain text sig on all emails.
>   As if they were unencoded plain text messages (it would still work
>   if they were encoded as quoted printable text).
>
> 3) (1) and (2) don't mix well.  What the recipient sees of the wreck
>   depends on the recipient's MUA
>
> 3a) (1a)+(2) in some MUAs shows up as crap at the end of the message.
>    In others, it is just suppressed.  The TLUG footer certainly isn't
>    readable.
>
> 3b) (1b)+(2) seems to show up as no visible TLUG footer, but no
>    APPARENT damage.  I think that technically the message is broken
>    because the TLUG footer is not properly MIME encapsulated.
>
> My MUA (Alpine) lets me look at the raw message to see what is going
> on.  Surely yours does too.  Look: don't guess.

Sorry no, I'm sort of stranded in my android for now and just getting
used to it.

> | From: Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | No Tlug footer on your message.
>
> Not true.  His was case 3b.  The footer was in the message.  Your MUA
> didn't show it to you.
>
> | In an effort to back-trace the problem, I'm going to try to disable
> | Latitude, GPS and Google location as I'm thinking that the
> | co-ordinates used by for location, rather than being sent in plain
> | text are being bundled into a mime format in order to be parsed by a
> | GIS system which either cannot or will not recognize plain text.
>
> I don't see how that could be at all related.  But you never know.

Well I'm trying to figure out if I can coax the MUA to plain text.

> | I refuse to believe that I cannot use linux to send a plain text
> | message and I balk at having to root my device to do this.
>
> I agree with your sentiment.  But Android, at this level (MUA), is not
> really Linux.  And the error report seems to indicate that Google
> doesn't consider this always-encode-base64 a bug.

Perhaps the Keystone cops are Google but Android is Cecil B. DeMille.

About me: From 1969 to 1977 my nickname was "the science centre kid."
>From 1971 -75 Pass #1; I hold the record for most attendances by
someone not staff. I could play with the Electron Microscope but not
the microtome. In 1974 I borked an exhibit and designer Jon Voskuil
created a new exhibit around it. Also, John put mirrors behind the
windmill in the hall of communications so I could see the other side
of things.  :-)