joining multiple PDFs into one

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 18 13:12:46 UTC 2011

On 11-11-17 21:17 , DAVID CHIPMAN wrote:

> You can't concatenate PDF files, but you can concatenate PS (PostScript)
> files ("man pdf2ps" and "man ps2pdf", for details).

Except for very simple cases, you can't. PostScript is a very complex
stack-based programming language. There's a recommended program
structure (DSC) that helps with feature extraction/insertion, but
doesn't guarantee that programs can be joined and still work.

> Converting from one
> to the other and back is quite trivial, using those two commands.

I'm a former prepress code monkey. It's not remotely trivial, and I
strongly advise against repeat PS <=> PDF conversions. It's not a
lossless process; font encoding is often lost/mangled, and weird display
errors can creep in.

cheers,
  Stewart