joining multiple PDFs into one

Russ rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 17 19:15:54 UTC 2011

Lennart I appreciate your sense of humor, as reflected in this response. I must however point out a semantic error in one of your replys regarding cat and its use. It was your initial response in which you report certain file types as being cat compatable which was the pedantic one. It was the other one which was straightforward and easy to understand.

<real usenet pedantry>Please stop spoon feeding the Trolls. It just makes them angry and confused. Also, it strips them of the ability to grok and grep for themselves should they be released to deal with the wild on their own.</real usenet pedantry>

 In the words of Stephen Fry:

If you're the kind of person who insists on this or that 'correct' use... abandon your pedantry as I did mine. Dive into the open flowing waters and leave the stagnant canals be... Above all, let there be pleasure!"

lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 04:14:03PM -0500, Russ wrote:
>> Unless cat is aliased to do something else, like clobber on > and append on >>

>> >cat file1.pdf > out.pdf; cat file2.pdf >> out.pdf; cat file3.pdf >> out.pdf
>> >
>> >    is exactly the same as
>> >
>> >cat file1.pdf file2.pdf file3.pdf > out.pdf
>> >
>> >    Both do exactly what the man page says they should.
>> >
>> >    Whether is works with any particular type of file depends on the
>> >    file structure, not on the cat command.
>> >
>> >--
>> >    Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com/>
>> >    Author:
>> >    Pro Bash Programming: Scripting the GNU/Linux Shell (2009, Apress)
>> >    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
>> >--
>> >The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>> >TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns