Safe IO

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 16 17:15:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 08:24:22AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> I've sent you a private email to you about this, but I'll say it
> again here.  Your messages include junk at the bottom, as shown
> below.  Some of your messages are nothing but junk.  I don't see
> this from anyone else.

Yes, the mailing list appends an ascii TLUG signature to the message.
Since these message happen to be base64 encoded (why I have no idea,
but they are), the ascii being appended results in garbage when you try
to decode it as base64 data.

So assuming base64 is a valid email encoding (seems to be), then the
mailing list is at fault for appending ascii to a non ascii message.
The mailing list software should obey the encoding when appending
the footer.

--
Len Sorensen