do you like C puzzles? do you want to learn libusb?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 16 15:31:26 UTC 2011

Bob -

You've highlighted the problem with the Phidgets devices. They would be
much easier to use if they were based on a USB-Com port protocol, using
the FTDI chips and drivers. Then the device can be accessed by simple com
port commands, which will work from Linux, Mac and Windows.

It's a tossup whether it's easier to reverse engineer their software or
redesign their hardware ;) I'd vote for the hardware.

Peter

> I am the facilitator for a 12 year old open source project aimed at
> bringing
> QNX style Send/Receive/Reply messaging to Linux users.
> (http://www.icanprogram.com/simpl).
>
> For a while I've been facinated by the possibilities of marrying the SIMPL
> toolkit to an embedded Linux device produced by a Canadian company in
> Calgary: Phidgets. (http://www.icanprogram.com/opndrs/phidgets).
>
> The current Phidgets library can be generously described as a complex C
> puzzle.   The key to unraveling this puzzle and recasting things in the
> SIMPL
> framework involves a move from the current libusb-0.1 to libusb-1.0 ...
> neither of which I know much about.    The Phidgets staff has taken the
> approach that "if it ain't broke ... don't mess with it" ... so
> unfortunately
> we are largely on our own to untangle the currrent code puzzle and recast
> it
> in a simpler way.
>
> If you like solving C puzzles and want to learn libusb stuff all the while
> working with an embedded Linux product,  don't hesitate to contact me
> offlist.    Alas everyone working on this project will be doing so gratis
>
> Thanks.
>
> bob

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325