Suggestion on samba & anonymous FTP setup

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 16 04:55:49 UTC 2011

Hi pals,

A quick question if anyone out here has done a similar thing.

I have set up a ftp so that users can upload files anonymous, but they
can not see the file after they have uploaded it.  That has working
fine. The problem is, once  the files uploaded, one can only access
them through console and the end user is not technical for such an
interface.  I was trying to find a way they can use these files
without relying on me to copy them over to an easily accessible
location.

My plan was to somehow share the FTP data directory through samba. The
FTP data directory is on an iscsi, so I count mount it on the FTP
server rw and mount it on the samba file server as ro.

On the ftp host, I have set up the ftp server so that the file
permission are as follows

ls -al /var/ftp/
drwx-wx---.  3 username1 ftp  4096 Nov 15 22:49 videos

ls -al /var/ftp/videos/
-rw-------. 1 username1 ftp   244246 Nov 15 22:15 The economics of
good looks- The line of beauty | The Economist.pdf

 mount
/dev/sdb1 on /var/ftp/videos type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,_netdev)

On the samba host, I have mounted the same device but this time read only

/dev/sdao1 on /media/storage/videos type ext3 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,_netdev)

My hope was, the user and group properties would remain the same.
However, this is not the case

ls -al /media/storage/videos
-rw-------  1   500 staff  244246 2011-11-15 22:15 The economics of
good looks- The line of beauty | The Economist.pdf

Notice the file is now owned by userID 500?  The group is different
too despite being the same files system. Anyone know why this
happened?  The user username1 also exist on the samba host, so not
sure why it was not mapped as it was on the FTP server

Anyway, because of these changes, samba share has not worked. Not sure
what I am missing here

Any advice would be high appreciated.  For example, what would be a
better way of solving this problem?

Thanks in advance

William