joining multiple PDFs into one

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 15 20:49:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> | It's his example which doesn't work. You don't know what kernel, what
> | shell or anything else about the environment he's using, yet you know
> | that your cat command is absolutely able to run the way you say it
> | does. Oh brave new world which has such people in it.
>
> He (Ian) just knows what the cat(1) manpage says.  Any POSIX system
> that didn't match that manpage is truly and obviously broken.

I understand what the man page says should happen, but people do
things to their computers operating environment every day which
confound what should happen according to the man page.

I run across this situation a fair bit,  it's what makes me try to
think outside the box when I look for solutions.

When someone posted that they were successful using the append
operator, it appeared to me that clobbering could have been happening
happening using >.

It is possible that an environment was set up which had affected the
way cat operates. That's all I was trying to point out.

Although it does appear that the problem has more to do with PDF file
format than file clobbering by cat.

I know POSIX relates to the API, but is PDF format POSIX compliant? If
PDF files use non unix format in the structure of the content of its
files, what is broken, the file or the creating tool.

There is no right or "wrong on the internet" as Ian said, only
conditions which appear upon first investigation to be right or wrong.