OT Star news story

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 9 14:39:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:33:46AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:05:53AM -0500, Russ wrote:
> > Interesting coverage of Byron Somme's trial.
> >
> > http://mobile.thestar.com/mobile/NEWS/article/1083629N???'?????T????.?Ǟ?)??m??൩n????2?????-????h?',6??0?+j?^??ޖ?<??%?i?
?-?CRP?D?D??i??-j[?????)"?Ƣ?)??+-

> Apparently the link is supposed to end at ...629, and the remaining line
> noise has no reason to be in the message.  I don't know what that is.
>
> Not sure why that needed base64 encoding in the first place either by
> the sending mail client.
>
> I wonder if mutt has a bug in the base64 decoder for plain text messages
> that get the length wrong somehow and had uninitialized memory shown.

OK, I figured it out.  It is the mailing list software that messed it up.

Sticking the TLUG footer on the message in plain text when the message
is in base64 utf8 encoding means there is now a chunk of garbage that
the base64 decoder tries to make sense of.

I guess gmail ignores it and simply lost the tlug footer.  mutt did not
and instead tried to decode it and got garbage.

I guess people should either not use base64 encoding for plain text
emails, or the mailing list software should use the same encoding when
appending the list footer.

--
Len Sorensen