Fedora 15 3D Accelerated Video

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 6 18:20:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 10:47:59 -0500 (EST)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> | From: Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org>
>
> |    I have just installed Fedora 15 on my desktop, and my video 3D
> |    acceleration has shut off.  This disables a number of things,
> |    including Gnome_3.  If there was ever a good case against 3D
> |    accelerated user interfaces, this is it.
>
> I assume that you mean that it disables Gnome 3 desktop shell.  Gnome
> 3 itself must still be going.  Fedora 15 has a fallback shell for
> systems without 3D hardware support.
>
> Could you be more explicit about what you observe?  What stopped
> working?  What do you mean by "shut off" -- did your system freeze?
>
> Many people dislike the Gnome 3 shell and think that the fallback is
> better.  I've been using the Gnome 3 shell and Fedora 15 for a couple
> of months and am not sure that it is a Good Thing.

   When I launch Gnome 3.0, I get my background screen, then nothing.
On one occasion, I got distracted, and when I looked, I found I was in
the fallback screen with a message telling me that I needed 3D
acceleration.

> |    The 3D video worked at first.
>
> What caused it to break?  Was it applying updates?
>
> I guess I should refine the above question.  If you knew what caused
> it to break, you'd fix it.  What salient events preceded the breakage?

   I don't know.  I have been running XFCE a bit.  It has locked down
my login screen so that if I want to run anything else, I must
deliberately select it.  The run-whatever-I-ran-last-time feature is
disabled.  Once, a long time ago, I tried out XFCE, and it screwed up
my Gnome settings.  On the whole, XFCE is a nice window manager, but I
am suspicious.

> Have you applied all the Fedora 15 updates (there are a lot, and they
> keep on coming)?  I'm a firm believer in applying all distro-supplied
> updates (despite all the scars I've gotten from doing so).

   I am trying to install updates.  I am running kpackagekit.  It says
I have 779 updates pending.  When I try to install them all, I get an
error message "An error occurred while running the transaction.  More
information is available in the detailed report."  The detailed report
identifies the offending package.  If I delete that from the list, I
get another offending package.  It looks like I can do updates one at a
time.  Nine at a time seems to have worked.

> Good luck!  Sorry I haven't actually got a solution for you.

   Every bit helps. I am probably going to have re-install this thing,
but it would be nice to know what I did wrong.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org