udev reorders assignment [was Re: Solved Debian update - keyboard responsive, Lennart Sorrenson not so much]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 3 20:22:01 UTC 2011

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

|   There were a few disagreements between Torvalds and Tanenbaum.
| Tanenbaum criticized the linux kernel for being too monolithic, while
| Torvalds thought Minix was stupid for blocking and being non-responsive
| whilst doing disk IO.

Off of the top of my head:

Minix used the BIOS calls for disk I/O.  This was sensible since it
meant it didn't have to have a large set of hard to write and maintain
device drivers.  But the BIOS isn't reentrant.  So Minix had to block
while doing disk I/O.

Minix worked on Atari STs too.  I never tried it but always intended
to.  Real UNIX was so much better.