Solved Debian update - keyboard responsive, Lennart Sorrenson not so much

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 2 11:48:02 UTC 2011

<snip previous>
> worse off (I am not sure loosing udev after booting is really that huge
> a deal, but could be annoying).

That's where I'm stuck on this. Unless you have a solid set of rules,
devices re polled by udev seem to be reordered in assignment. That's a
major complaint I see in the various blog's about udev. Udev
diagnostic tools have improved but there are still some gaps and
people still encounter problems.

> So the reason the kill script isn't breaking things is that udev is
> ignoring it for being incompatible with the other requests for the
> runlevel.  It is however also not helping anything and could be confusing.

Every time something new, like LSB init is introduced, there is a
learning curve.

I see this as a transitional state, not quite right, (according to
convention) not quite wrong (according to function). I believe there
is more that one right way to do things in Linux. Whether or not the
chosen fix conforms with theory is demonstrated over time, assuming
the machine doesn't grind to a halt when the fix (kludge) is applied.