Debian: Broken packages, bug

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 19:34:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <snip previous>
>> Gnome and gstreamer certainly can be hassle.  I think I usually end up
>> using mplayer in the end after giving up on whatever gnome has tried
>> to do.
>
> I dumped totem completely in favour of vlc on my own system. Ten or so
> years ago, when I was using Red Hat, I dumped Gnome in favour of
> Enlightenment, after gnome seemed to become a resource hog. It's
> better now but with so many developers, each working on their own
> little bit of things, uniformity is hard to come by.
>
> Aptitude is great, but it's not a panacea for problems. It's just
> another tool in the toolbox.

This I totally disagree with. I used to hack away at solving problems,
building things from source and hand-editing config files, and so on.
I have been running Debian for a few years now, and I have never had
to build anything from source. Debian Unstable is as up to date as I
could possibly want, and apt never fails, ever. The only reason I had
a problem this time was I ignored something apt was telling me that
was clearly going to be a problem, or at least had a high risk of
becoming one. Otherwise, this system has been through update after
update, even dist upgrades, and never once had a problem.

I no longer have the time to spend on making my system some highly
customized and optimized thing, I just want it to work. I really can't
imagine using anything else but Debian. With due respect to all the
very knowledgeable RH, Ubuntu, and Gentoo users, I don't understand
the reasoning behind using any other distribution, other than just
taste I guess.

--
Thomas Milne