Solved Debian update - keyboard responsive

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 17:39:43 UTC 2011

<snip previous>
>> The guy who posted the fix actually said to rename the scripts in two
>> folders rc2.d and rc3.d
>
> It was probably in 4 and 5 as well then.  Either way, renaming it to a

I'll check the other directories on Sunday.

> stop script isn't the right way to go.  Removing it when it shouldn't
> be there is.  Asking insserv to reset the udev scripts to the default
> state would probably be an even safer way to fix it.
>
>> It was the package maintainer who snipped out the second one in his
>> reply. That's why I don't like all this snipping of posts, it confuses
>> things.
>
> Well it is standard operating procedure on mailing lists and avoids
> messages getting overly huge and unmanageable.
>
>> This hardware is now working as it was before the IO problems, hence
>> it is right.
>
> That is a rather simplistic and wrong way to look at things.

Simple yes. Wrong, I'm not so sure. Performance for purpose is the
standard benchmark I have to use.

> So if your car drives, it is in perfect condition even if you have a
> flat tire or at least a very underinflated tire.  Just because you don't
> see a problem doesn't mean there isn't any.

Not the same thing. A flat tire defeats performance for purpose. An
underinflated tire does so also, by affecting steering control or,
the tire displays visible wear indicators. There are obvious
characteristics to go by in troubleshooting the problem. Not so here.
The system is functional, maybe not even optimally, but so far it's
performing.

>> Or are you looking at this like the new math I had to learn in the
>> 70's. It doesn't matter that the answer is wrong, as long as the work
>> is shown to have been done correctly.
>
> Well if the work was done correctly at every step, the answer can't
> be wrong.  Some step has to be done wrong to get the wrong answer.

In the case of the new math, if you were following the correct steps
while you were learning the process, you didn't completely fail the
question, you only partially failed.

Right now on boot the only dmesg is related to ACPI and as far as I
see thats not malfunctioning.

>> See maybe thats part of the problem, if you are not hot plugging
>> anything and the static system is working, why bother with udev?
>
> Feel free to uninstall it if you don't think it is useful.  Systems used
> to run fine without it, although there was some management of device
> nodes and module loading to be done.

I like it, I don't like some of what I have to do to control how hooks
into the bus are being handled. However HAL is apparently gone in the
next stable release.

>> From what I see udev has some problems with uniformly re-identifying
>> nodes when the bus is polled on a new trigger. It can take a bit of
>> work to sort issues out when that happens.  It's easier to figure out
>> stuff now with udevadm attribute-walk but still, does udev need to run
>> as a dameon, why not just kickstart it with some other kernel event.
>
> To some extent the kernel could be made to kick things, but on the other
> hand the kernel developers do seem to like pushing decision making to
> user space whenever possible.  It may also be more efficient to not have
> to load and initialize udev for every event.

Customized logon's seems to be the goal. Might include a partial
initialization sequence, similar to a terminate and stay resident
program. Although those were some of the nightmarish reasons I didn't
bother with MS products.

A global udev event at start and systematic udev events on demand.

>> So I can deal with udev the way I need to. Remember one person's bug
>> is another person's feature.
>>
>> But hey, if you can get your virtual machine built and broken by next
>> Sunday, I'll be up at buddies trying to explain to him why his real
>> working computer is so abnormal.
>>
>> We can compare notes then.
>
> I am installing a VM right now.  I will have to go see about setting up
> a USB keyboard in KVM since I think the default is an AT or PS/2 keyboard
> which might not break the same way a USB keyboard would.

I told my friend to try rebooting with different usb devices attached.

Here's what's normally attached and now functioning.
A ps2 keyboard;
a usb mouse;
a usb keyboard;
a usb wireless mouse;
a brother mult function unit. print/scan/fax

That's all connected via a 5 point usb hub.

I haven't enabled any detailed logging. I could have installed sshd,
but I usually explain the implications on personal privacy and don't
recommend it when I try to help people up the learning curve.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the help.