[OT] Bittorrent and Networking

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 04:04:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Ivan Avery Frey
<ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 31/10/11 11:19, Thomas Milne wrote:
>>
>> I have two linux machines on my network, with a Linksys WRT54G router
>> (running Tomato). If I run Transmission bittorrent client on one
>> machine, it's okay, but if both are running Transmission, the whole
>> network grinds to a halt. Even if I put a speed limit on both clients,
>> so that each only uses a small percentage of the bandwidth (admittedly
>> slim at around 2 Mb), it is still impossible to do anything else on
>> the network.
>>
>> Has anyone encountered a situation like this? I am a total beginner
>> when it comes to configuring routers, beyond port forwarding.
>>

> Wouldn't it be better to run just one bittorrent client and use vnc on the
> other machine?
>
> Hmmmm, I wonder if there's a way to tell a running x client to switch which
> xserver it's connected to.

I rather don't think so.

What's sad about Transmission, in particular, is that it's so, so, so
close to allowing a full multiplicity of kinds of connections.  It
*does* permit, concurrently:
- Multiple instances of transmission-remote doing stuff on CLI or scripted;
- Multiple web interface instances, so you can have *partial* control
from web browsers in several places.
- You can run these against a transmission instance, whether it's
started up as a "GUI" instance or in the background.

But it doesn't seem possible to hook up a transmission GUI to a
pre-existing instance of transmission.  Which is unfortunate, as that
the GUI is a good way of managing, well, "everything."  (Contrast that
the web interface is pretty strictly limited; it lacks the ability to
control configurable stuff such as per-torrent transmission rate
limits as well as global policies.)

If only the GUI could talk to a pre-existing transmission instance,
that would be parfait.  (I'd be happy to be proven wrong.)