electrocomputerwarehouse

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 27 16:06:17 UTC 2011

On 5/27/2011 8:31 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

>>> Where would I find these laptops ?
>>
>> Google?  When I was looking at the specs of the laptop mentioned I saw a
>> bunch of mentions of laptops at these low prices.
>> --
>>
>> yours,
>>
>> William
>>

> Well, shipping becomes an issue at some point. Most of what I found
> was in the states.

The IBM refurb site isn't bad if you're going to load Linux on the stuff
(They're still throwing WinXP on refurbs... no point in using it as a
Windows machine)

<http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/HelpDisplay?storeId=124&catalogId=-124&langId=124&subject=ICUECanada>

I wouldn't recommend a refurb to anyone these days though:
- warranty is bad
- batteries rarely last much longer than the warranty and are expensive
to replace
- new machines are cheap these days

I'd get a disposable netbook before considering a refurb business class
laptop.  Depends on your needs though.

New machines come up on the list all the time, so you might just want to
bookmark it and watch to see if they get a shipment of a model you like.

Keep in mind, they're used machines.  I ordered one back in 2006 and it
smelled like perfume for 6 months... although as a business class
machine, it's travelled the world, never broke down and is still
operational.

-Mike