cheap netbook based on AMD C-50

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 24 18:10:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 02:34:38PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> This seems like quite a good price ($240 until May 27) for a netbook with
> nice features:
> <http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-10-1-amd-c-50-netbook-ao522-bz499-black-ao522-bz499/10161870.aspx?path=494aefa7bc9ffca3da0d08c43abc476ben02>
> Might be hard to find: out of stock online.
>
> You might be able to get an even better price by price matching at
> Staples.  I find that they often manage to evade price matches.
> <http://forums.redflagdeals.com/acer-ao522-bz499-fusion-netbook-239-99-fs-pm-staples-50-coupon-1040839/>
>
> Things of note:
>
> + this uses the new AMD C-50 which is a lot like an Atom but a bit
>   faster CPU and a lot better video.  In a lot of ways this is like
>   an Atom-based system with the nVidia ION chipset.  Few Atom netbooks
>   have the ION; none are inexpensive.

- It has ATI video hardware and hence drivers.  No thanks.

> - can handle HD video from a decoder standpoint (ordinary Atom-based
>   systems cannot)
>
> - HDMI out; no VGA out.
>
> - 1280 x 720 screen (vs 1024 x 600 on most Atom-based netbooks)
>
> - largish battery.  I think Atom-without-ION notebooks use a bit less
>   power.
>
> - 1G RAM.  If I bought one, I'd immediately hunt for a large cheap
>   SODIMM.  4G works (but isn't fully used by Windows7 Starter).
>
> - bilingual keyboard.  Intellectually, I think this is a great feature.
>   My fingers feel quite the opposite.

Well that's not workable.  I use a US layout keyboard but I have no
problem with other languages (since I actually use the Netherland's
USB Mac international layout, which is a multilingual layout for PC104
keyboards and fully US compatible (no keys are moved).  Best keyboard
layout ever).

> - ethernet is 1G
>
> - Acer quality isn't stellar

Hmm, no thanks.

> I have not used one of these.  If I needed a netbook, I'd seriously
> consider this one.
>
> Best Buy has had this at $250 a couple of times.

Get an Asus, with a proper keyboard.  Canada computers and others have
lots of options.

--
Len Sorensen