cheap netbook based on AMD C-50

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 23 18:34:38 UTC 2011

This seems like quite a good price ($240 until May 27) for a netbook with
nice features:
<http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-10-1-amd-c-50-netbook-ao522-bz499-black-ao522-bz499/10161870.aspx?path=494aefa7bc9ffca3da0d08c43abc476ben02>
Might be hard to find: out of stock online.

You might be able to get an even better price by price matching at
Staples.  I find that they often manage to evade price matches.
<http://forums.redflagdeals.com/acer-ao522-bz499-fusion-netbook-239-99-fs-pm-staples-50-coupon-1040839/>

Things of note:

+ this uses the new AMD C-50 which is a lot like an Atom but a bit
  faster CPU and a lot better video.  In a lot of ways this is like
  an Atom-based system with the nVidia ION chipset.  Few Atom netbooks
  have the ION; none are inexpensive.

- can handle HD video from a decoder standpoint (ordinary Atom-based
  systems cannot)

- HDMI out; no VGA out.

- 1280 x 720 screen (vs 1024 x 600 on most Atom-based netbooks)

- largish battery.  I think Atom-without-ION notebooks use a bit less
  power.

- 1G RAM.  If I bought one, I'd immediately hunt for a large cheap
  SODIMM.  4G works (but isn't fully used by Windows7 Starter).

- bilingual keyboard.  Intellectually, I think this is a great feature.
  My fingers feel quite the opposite.

- ethernet is 1G

- Acer quality isn't stellar

I have not used one of these.  If I needed a netbook, I'd seriously
consider this one.

Best Buy has had this at $250 a couple of times.