Linux OLPC and Toronto Public Library WiFi

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 14:18:28 UTC 2011

Actually I've used these dns servers

4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.3

These are actually are not 'their' servers. These are servers on the
internet much like Google dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 btw) that provide
non-authoritative domain resolution. I used these to set up DNS for
people connected to Rogers as the company has a nasty habit of
redirecting domain resolution failure responses to their catch-all
website.

Anyway a proper set up would be to use residental gateway to talk to
one or more on these servers and the router in turn would serve DNS
request, also a handy thing would be to set up dnsmasq to cache all
the requests, I don't know why the library people set up their network
in this way.

Alex.