Linux OLPC and Toronto Public Library WiFi

Eric Battersby gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 05:56:57 UTC 2011

I went to the Library yesterday and called Tech Support.  It
was all hit and miss; he got my MAC address from the IP.  He
tried to make an exception, and said it would be permanent for
my branch only.  I had to disconnect the WiFi and reconnect a
few times, and reboot once.

I still never got to the End User Agreement.
I never got their nameserver, 4.2.2.3, to resolve.
I could not ping their router, 10.1.55.1 .
At the end, I was able to get an external ping (by IP) to work,
but the library was closing.

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Scott Sullivan wrote:

> On 05/19/2011 10:14 AM, James Knott wrote:
> > Jamon Camisso wrote:
> > > Not sure if it still applies, I ended up calling their tech support
> > > before visiting and letting them know my MAC address and that I used
> > > Linux. Not sure what was done, but it has never not worked since.
> > What is it that the Toronto library does differently?  I have often used my
> > Linux computer, along with Nokia N800, Google Nexus One smart phone and even
> > an Asus WL-330gE portable access point in the Mississauga library without
> > any problems.
>
> I own an OLPC XO as well and haven't had issue using the TPL wifi once I'm
> able to connect.

Scott, do you mean that it worked the first time without any
modification or tech support help?

> The major problem in my experience has been that their DHCP lease times are
> too long for a frequency of clients.
> You'll sometimes half connect and fail to get an IP address as the whole pool
> is assigned and it's taking to long to verify a free address.

I did get an IP, but tech support claimed that I dropped off,
when that was not my observation.

--
Eric.