Cable modem users could get static IPs soon.

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 01:55:58 UTC 2011

Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:18:51PM -0400, James Knott wrote
>

>> The IPv6 address space is so huge, there's absolutely no reason to
>> be stingy with addresses.
>>
>    That's what they once said about IPV4.  I don't like this waste,
> essentially handing out the equivalant of 4 billion times the size of
> the entire IPV4 address space to each customer.  I fear that this may
> come back to bite us one day.

Of course, looking at it from the other end, there's the same number of
subnets as there are addresses within one of those subnets.  It's an
absolutely huge number.  also, currently only 1/8th of the available
IPv6 addresses are currently assigned to unicast addresses.  Over 3/4s
of the address range has yet to be allocated for anything.