Linux OLPC and Toronto Public Library WiFi

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 19:30:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 02:59:01PM -0400, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 12:15 PM, James Knott wrote:
> > Scott Sullivan wrote:
> >> The major problem in my experience has been that their DHCP lease
> >> times are too long for a frequency of clients.
> >> You'll sometimes half connect and fail to get an IP address as the
> >> whole pool is assigned and it's taking to long to verify a free address.
> >
> > Once you connect, you can verify the lease time.  If it is excessive,
> > perhaps you could mention it to the IT staff.
>
> I actually have, but the WiFi is run by an outside company and I doubt
> they listened.

  Last year when I had a problem with a port being blocked, the library
help desk supplied me with a contact number for the "outside company".
I explained my need (IPsec NAT-T) and they called me back about 5-10
minutes later and we verified that the problem was fixed.  I was even
able to convince them to change their permanent ruleset.

  A polite, well-reasoned request can go a long way.