Linux OLPC and Toronto Public Library WiFi

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 16:35:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:47:43PM -0400, Eric Battersby wrote
> I walked into a Toronto Public Library expecting my OLPC to
> work right away with their WiFi.  No ping to the Internet and
> the browser went to 404.  The browser is supposed to reach an
> "end user agreement" page.

  I ran into a similar situation when I first tried to connect wifi at
the Toronto Public Library.  Long story short... they redirect you a web
page address in the 10.0.0.0/8 range.  I had a paranoid iptables ruleset
which blocked that range, so I never saw the page.  A quick-n-dirty hack
to get on was

/etc/init.d/iptables stop (from a root login in an xterm)

go to the "end user agreement" page and click "I agree" as necessary

/etc/init.d/iptables start

  After the initial agreement page, it worked OK, even with iptables on.
For info about wifi see...
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/using-the-library/computer-services/wireless/

  Vaughan Public Library also has free wifi.  See...
http://www.vaughanpl.info/library_features/view/8