OT: First Names with Spaces

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 16:27:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Ivan Avery Frey
<ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In Italy some people's formal names have a space in them. My grandmother's
> name in the records is for example "Anna Maria". "Maria" in this case is not
> a middle name. Can most databases today handle a space in the datafield?

Increasingly, databases themselves don't care - they're a mechanism
for storing whatever payload was provided.

This is much more a "front end" issue, and, increasingly often, front
ends use whatever structure they are given, so that they're really not
trying to parse names, and don't care what's in them.

There's enough strangeness about name ordering these days, as
different cultures have pretty different understandings of naming,
that it is getting less and less possible to treat such in a strict
fashion.