Linux OLPC and Toronto Public Library WiFi

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 15:32:01 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 10:14 AM, James Knott wrote:
> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> Not sure if it still applies, I ended up calling their tech support
>> before visiting and letting them know my MAC address and that I used
>> Linux. Not sure what was done, but it has never not worked since.
> What is it that the Toronto library does differently?  I have often
> used my Linux computer, along with Nokia N800, Google Nexus One smart
> phone and even an Asus WL-330gE portable access point in the
> Mississauga library without any problems.

I own an OLPC XO as well and haven't had issue using the TPL wifi once
I'm able to connect.

The major problem in my experience has been that their DHCP lease times
are too long for a frequency of clients.
You'll sometimes half connect and fail to get an IP address as the whole
pool is assigned and it's taking to long to verify a free address.

Best practice I've found is too keep trying. Wish I had more helpful advice.
My linux netbook as also had no trouble.

--
Scott Sullivan