Anyone tried Bell's Fibe TV?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 17 12:15:57 UTC 2011

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Rogers changes my IP address without waiting for the lease to expire.
> Of course that isn't often, but it is rude.

Part way through the lease, your computer or firewall will request a
renewal.  The DHCP server may or may not reissue the same address.  A
DHCP server cannot change the address until that renewal is requested.
After the renewal, a new lease period begins.  You "own" that address
until the lease expires or the next renewal.

I expect the address changes are due to network changes, unlike on Bell
ADSL, where the IP address changes frequently and the host name changes
with it (the Bell host name contains your IP address).

Do a host lookup on your Rogers IP address and you will see your host
name, which will not change unless you change hardware.

Bottom line, your Rogers IP address is virtually static and the host
name is essentially permanent.

Here's what a Rogers host name looks like.  It has been changed to
protect the guilty.
CPExxxxxxxxxxxx-CMyyyyyyyyyyyy.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

The "x" string represents your firewall MAC address and the "y", the
modem MAC.

I have set up an alias in my domain DNS server that points to that long
host name.