Desktop hardware recommendation

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 20:29:54 UTC 2011

I used Lennart advise on power supply and it was really good advise!
i built a I7 2.8ghz box, and OC it to 4.4 ghz on rampage III. (stable
at about 4.1 long term, 4.4 requires voltage settings i didn't feel
comfortable with).
Only issue is, it's sata6 doesn't seem supported, but may be supported
in kernel now. (i bought a sata6 flash HD, only running at sata3).
My only advise is given insane over clocking of i7, be aware of the
cheap extra ghz you can get if you get a quality rig.
Your $/ghz may be a LOT better if you spend just a bit more .. i.e. a
store i7 is going to really sux given whats you can achieve with the
right mobo and ram.
Oh, hiber/sleep not so good yet (again not most recent kernel) but i
don't use it. I'd say if you need hiber/sleep functionality your
search for a bleeding edge good system just
got more complicated.

tl

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Lennart Sorensen