GTALUG talk in June

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 17:30:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Ori Idan <ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I sent this mail to the general mailing list before I knew about this
> > address so I am sending here also (sorry for the cross posting)
> >
> > I am a Linux user and activist from Israel.
> > Me and my wife are in the process of immigrating to Canada.
> > I would like to get to know Linux users from Canada.
> > We will be visiting family in Canada in June and I will be happy to come to
> > your meeting in June 14th.
> > From the wiki it seems that no speaker has come up yet for this meeting,
> > therefore I would like to offer a talk about Linux users groups in Israel
> > and Linux translation to Hebrew.
> > The Hebrew language in addition to using a different character set, is
> > written from right to left. All these impose few problems to users who
> > hardly speak English.
> > I will also try to demonstrate common Linux software working in Hebrew.
> > Would you be interested in hearing such a talk?
>
> This sounds great, we would love to hear your talk. So, two questions for you:
>
> - How would you like your talk described on the gtalug.org wiki (which
> will be used as the basis for the meeting announcement)?
> - Do you want/need a video projector for your talk (we can arrange for
> one very easily but need to know in advance)?
>
> Again thanks.
>
> Colin McGregor

Thank you,
I will be happy to have a video projector as I will prepare a
presentation (LibreOffice presentation) and probably show some
examples of Linux software in Hebrew.
I will bring my netbook (running Ubuntu 11.04) I guess it would not be
a problem to connect it to the projector.
As for the description in the wiki I would like something like:
‎Topic: Linux Development and Linux groups in Israel
Israel as a leading in HiTech industry includes evolving groups of Linux Users.
These groups have to deal with exceptional and unique needs which are
relevant to this area.
In this talk I will speak about LUG's in Israel and their activities.
A little bit about the history of Linux in Israel.
I will also explain about the Hebrew language and the challenge it
introduces to both software and websites.

--
Ori Idan