How to replace a hard drive... SOLVED

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 13 22:03:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 12:39 -0400, Peter King wrote:

> > the new disk, and installed grub manually. All seemed to go well. Reboot, and the new disk
> > is seen by the BIOS; it finds grub on the MBR and loads it; I select a kernel and start to
> > boot up -- by this time I'm starting to think it will work -- and then, after it correctly
> > finds my keyboard, it just, well, stops. Nothing. No drive activity, no indication of life.

Problem solved. I had mirrored the original drive while it was mounted, rather
than when it was unmounted. Today I booted sysresccd and mirrored it while it
was unmounted and it booted up without any hiccups. I suppose there was some
"live" information in /dev or /sys or /proc or the like that was inconsistent
for a system at bootup, which caused the problem. But that seems to have been
the cause. And here I thought that the advice to copy content while unmounted
was like the advice to wear an antistatic wristband...

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42