What time server do you use?

marthter marthter-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 13 03:57:33 UTC 2011

On 11-05-11 08:34 AM, James Knott wrote:

> Perhaps time.nrc.ca has dropped support for rdate.

According to
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/inms/time-services/network-time.html

    Note: Starting March 1, 2011, the old *TIME *protocol on port
    37(RFC-868) will no longer be offered from the NTP servers below.
    However a new time service for the old *TIME *protocol is now
    offered from a new server, *time4.nrc.ca*. Users are encouraged to
    switch to the NTP protocol described below, for a more accurate time
    service.

I usually use the pooled default servers in whatever distro I'm using on
a given machine, or if I need some specific servers I use
[tick,tock].utoronto.ca  and/or [tic,toc].nrc.ca as these can (from most
Toronto ISP locations) have a lower round trip delay than the random
pooled ones.

Cheers.

Martin