Old PC's

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 21:24:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM, David J Patrick <djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 03:52:49PM +0000, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
>>
>> Probably a silly question, but is there any use for old P2 and P3 computers? I have some I'm taking to the recycling dump, but hate to dump them if they are usable for routers or anything else. I personally have no use for them.
>>
> The short answer is yes, there are legitimate uses for old boxes;

> but realistically, most of those old boxes are going to grind up wattage
> for dismal performance, so they make great doorstops or "bricks" for a
> brick-and-board bookcase.
>
> ship it off to the inorganic market for proper reclaimation.
> djp

Sadly, the "realistically" part is certainly true.

If you aren't paying for your electricity or your real estate, then
it's possible for it to be economically sensible to use these oldies.

Unfortunately, if you *do* have to pay for power and real estate, it's
easy for that to instantly depreciate the hardware to a negative
value.