How to replace a hard drive...

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 21:17:51 UTC 2011

Peter King wrote:
> Reboot, and the new disk
> is seen by the BIOS; it finds grub on the MBR and loads it; I select a kernel and start to
> boot up -- by this time I'm starting to think it will work -- and then, after it correctly
> finds my keyboard, it just, well, stops. Nothing. No drive activity, no indication of life.

When I have copied files using rsync I include -S as one of the command line
arguments.

> Replacing the old disk I see that after finding a keyboard it then loads /sys, and calls for
> udev. Perhaps the problem is there.

Recent Linux distros seem to want to use UUID strings in /etc/fstab to refer
to the drives. Its all well and good until you change a partition or hard
drive after which you find it fails to boot properly. Check your /etc/fstab
file to see if it is using uuid strings rather than /dev/sdaN type partition
specifiers.

If it was a problem with /etc/fstab you would normally see an error message
stating something to the effect that it was unable to mount the (root) file
system. Use Alt-Fn keys to see if one of the other console windows has any
additional information displayed as to why the boot process ground to a halt.