Wither TeX? (was Re:Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 11:29:56 UTC 2011

On 11-05-12 00:59 , Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Reflowable text means something quite different from that, something
> that TeX is even worse at.

Well, you can hardly blame Knuth for not adding a feature that didn't
exist until 20 years after TeX was conceived. TeX is a killer H&J
engine; it optimizes line and page breaks about as well as it is
possible to do without skilled manual intervention. I'm guessing that
the e-readers don't do proper visual space balancing in paragraph flows
(certainly, no web browser I've seen does more than the most trivial
line breaking), and very probably don't know how to deal with widows and
orphans appropriately.

TeX isn't a display typography engine. TeX isn't for reflowable text.
Don't try to make it be something it isn't.

 Stewart