Wither TeX? (was Re:Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors)

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 01:05:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011 17:20:09 -0400
Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Sorry for the late entry.
>
> At one point I really loved TeX. Well, LaTeX to be certain -- I wrote my own
> macros and found it a very nice way to create pretty print versions of
> database reports, etc. The DVI creation process was certainly familiar to
> those who were used to compiling code. I was a card--carrying member of
> TUG. But I always REALLY detested Computer Modern as a font from a graphic
> design PoV and I could never wrap my head around Metafont.

    I still use LaTeX for a few things, for example, the Linux install instructions on my website.  Latex2html and pdflatex mean that your LaTeX document can be converted to alternate formats.  The purpose of DVI is to print stuff on paper.  I don't think latex2html controls the font.

    In the distant past, I created pretty documents using LaTeX.  OpenOffice is much better for this.  LaTeX is at it best creating standardised, formatted documents.  Donald Knuth's whole point in creating TeX is that he did not like the way people were typesetting his documents.  He had no interest in how _you_ want his documents formatted.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org