Wither TeX? (was Re:Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors)

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed May 11 21:20:09 UTC 2011

Sorry for the late entry.

At one point I really loved TeX. Well, LaTeX to be certain -- I wrote my own
macros and found it a very nice way to create pretty print versions of
database reports, etc. The DVI creation process was certainly familiar to
those who were used to compiling code. I was a card--carrying member of
TUG. But I always REALLY detested Computer Modern as a font from a graphic
design PoV and I could never wrap my head around Metafont.

Having said that, for better or worse, we're in a world in which HTML5 will
soon predominate, and with the exception of math formatting IMO TeX has
outlived its usefulness. (And whether I'd call TeX books "beautiful" is an
eye-of-the-beholder thing IMO.) TeX had such a steep learning curve that it
was hard to learn other publishing tools in parallel, leading to "if all you
have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" syndrome. And, of course,
it didn't help that only a handful of publishing houses would accept TeX
formatted manuscripts.

As I make a personal transition into ePub for book work and away from the
printed word, I start to think of TeX as I do Fortran ... functional in
their day and absolutely necessary in the evolution of the craft, but there
are now better and easier ways to get there from here. TeX/Metafont preceded
Unicode and OpenType and Dublin Core and MathML and ePub and CSS, all
standards which have received widespread support from both toolmakers and
content producers and arguably serve their needs better.

By contrast, the DVI paradigm has had little room to evolve. It's ill-suited
to environments designed to give users real-time control (ie, real-time font
resizing). The concept of user control (even to the point of choosing a
different font should they choose) is a horror to TeX document producers (as
well as to most InDesign, Scribus and even MS-Word users). But it's a coming
phenomenon that publishers ignore at their risk. In the kind of text-heavy
environment which describes most TeX-produced books I've seen, the
publisher's need for exact control over style is even less compelling than
in graphic-intensive settings (unless you're doing poetry, which doesn't
seem like one of TeX's strengths anyway). The value of the very same
document file being usable on a PC, tablet or 4" mobile screen while
maintaining readability is something Knuth didn't consider, but it's
critical now for a growing number of documents. These days reflowable text
is far more in demand than the world's most meticulous hyphenation
algorithm.

Yes, TeX is a great typesetting system. But the world doesn't need
typesetting the way it used to, and at its heart TeX is hostile to the
Internet generally and user-controlled formatting specifically. If TeX was a
niche in the best of times -- barely known outside of the realms of math and
physics academia -- what does that make its status now? Probably on the same
plane as direct-to-disc audio recording -- the best technology in a rapidly
declining field.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada