new cpu upgrade

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 9 00:43:29 UTC 2011

The only thing that one really needs to worry about is if you were moving
between X86/amd64/arm/ia64 architectures. You should have no problem at all
with this upgrade. Even windows is *usually* ok with new-cpu-same-board
upgrades.

If your using the same motherboard, all is well. A new motherboard might
have a different sound/LAN/network/sata controller, but so long as there's
drivers in the mainline kernel you're good.

If you have a new mobo, you may need to nuke /etc/udev/rules.d/persistent*
to allow the new NIC to work as eth0, etc.