Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 15:55:31 UTC 2011

On 29/04/11 4:14 PM, Mike wrote:

> Rampant dynamic range compression has, ironically, made many original
> vinyl recordings sound much better than the latest CD remasterings,
> even though the CD still arguably remains superior in many ways.

Does anyone else think that a radio station broadcast often sounds
better than the CD playing in the CD player (i.e. not CD transferred to
MP3)? Is this due to the audio engineer fine tuning with the equalizer,
or has the CD "recording" been intentionally neutered. I've been seeing
on the playlist of internet radio stations, something like "AAAA (radio
edit)" for some songs.

> Industrial dynamic range compression notwithstanding, I've been
> digitizing vinyl recordings for years now. There's something just a
> little weird about listening to what is clearly my old turntable in my
> car, for example :-) If I'm in a hurry, I'll even leave in the needle
> drops.

The needle drops sounded odd the first few times, but I just got used to it.