Linux on an HP TX2

sciguy-Lmt0BfyYGMw at public.gmane.org sciguy-Lmt0BfyYGMw at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 31 09:46:59 UTC 2011

> i have same. been a while since  i played with it, but basically the
> pen seems to work ok, but when i flip screen via X setting (not by
> flip detect),
> it tracks the pen as it its the other orientation, so it was
> completely useless.

Apparently, from what I have read this is because the worng driver is
installed. I am using Maverick Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10, I think), which
purportedly works with the TX2  "out of the box". Well, I don't consider
the current state of affairs as "working", exactly.

> also there wasn't a hand writing / letter writing
> widget (at time) that i could find
> for linux that was as good as the MS vista one, however vista blows so
> bad on this device. If you can get something to work , let me know.

I don't know when you obtained the laptop, but there was supposed to be
some kind of a deal where you could get a Windows 7 upgrade from HP free
of charge, which I took advantage of. W7 is pretty good. Just that the
kids at Future Shop who did a recent repair (requiring a HD replacement
and a system reinstall) couldn't get the fingerprint scanner to work after
reinstalling W7. A few other things began to go funny on it also.

> I may try new linux mint on it see if it handles it any better.  i
> seem to remember pen and click working well, just only in original
> orientation.

I prefer Ubuntu, since they are making headway into touchscreen
technologies in an active way these days. But according to the forums, you
still need to do a fair bit of work (not all of it do-able in my
experience) to get full functionality.

> I can boot it up and send you module info,etc if you can't get any
> further. I remember having to install some special packages (.debs)
> from somewhere if
>  i remember correctly.
> I found bigger issue with it was not having a good  handwriting
> widget, i only found one for linux that was individual character
> drawing, and not
> full handwriting analysis, in addition on vista the widget was pretty
> handy to pull out and put away.

There are apps that replace Windows Journal: Gournal (won't install on my
system), and xournal (does install, writing works to a degree with a lot
of stray strokes seemingly arising from the select mode problem). I use MS
Journal extensively, and would use Ubuntu and xournal if the drivers were
working properly. In many cases, they won't compile (I got an error once
(I forget the app or driver I was compiling for) that said on running the
configure script that a package called "x11" was missing! I was pretty
amazed, albeit in a negative way).