(question) Encrypting a single file

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 26 14:40:07 UTC 2011

On 3/25/2011 8:57 PM, William Park wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 08:26:21PM -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes.  I just want to "update/maintain/carry" one file, ie. computer
>>> equivalent to rolodex, index cards, address book, or whatever
>>> paper-solution you used in the old days.
>>
>> To be honest, or perhaps I just missed the reference, I'm a little
>> surprised no one has mentioned vim yet.
>>
>> vim -x  (or, from within vim use ":X")
>>
>> Additional information is available within vim using ":help encrypt"
>
> Yes!  That's what I was looking for.  I didn't know Vim had that.
> Thanks Scott.

Careful:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/575817/vim-encryption-how-to-break-it

"The algorithm used is breakable. A 4 character key in about one hour, a
6 character key in one day (on a Pentium 133 PC). This requires that you
know some text that must appear in the file. An expert can break it for
any key. When the text has been decrypted, this also means that the key
can be revealed, and other files encrypted with the same key can be
decrypted."

Does anyone know if this has improved?

-Mike