Grokking Debian

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 20:52:47 UTC 2011

I have also had problems in the past, it was always just bad repos.
Try these in your sources.list (replace 'testing with 'squeeze' if you
wish):

deb http://debian.mirror.iweb.ca/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.mirror.iweb.ca/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main

This works flawlessly for me.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> (I sent this days ago, but from the wrong address.  *sigh*)
>
> OK, things are worse than I thought.  I get the same result (exactly, modulo package name) with, e.g. cruft, gcj, firefox, gnome, just to choose some random packages.... it suggests that debian on my system is fairly borked.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA, ../Dave
>
>>> : ~ ; sudo apt-get install v4l-utils
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> Package v4l-utils is not available, but is referred to by another package.
>>> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>>> is only available from another source
>>>
>>> E: Package 'v4l-utils' has no installation candidate

TBM