[OT] Linda McQuaig on Bill Gates

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 23 07:15:52 UTC 2011

| From: Thomas Milne <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org>

| I've been reading The Trouble with Billionaires by Linda McQuaig and
| she includes a section on Bill Gates.

What are the chances that she got the story right?  She's not a techie
and didn't live through those things.

My take: Gates executed well, he knew how to be a monopolist, and the
system was a failure for not stopping this.  I don't blame Gates for
taking advantage of the system, I blame the system for letting this
happen.

Tangent:

I, along with some others, complained to the (Canadian) Competition
Bureau about Microsoft roughly a decade ago.  I have no idea if they
cared: all investigations are confidential, even from the
complainants!  Nothing came of this.  Talk about pathetic.

One of my co-complainants was Kelly Gotlieb.  I recommend his 90th
birthday talk next Monday:
<http://web.cs.toronto.edu/news/events/DCS_Faculty_Lecture_Series__C_C___Kelly__Gotlieb.htm?DateTime=634369248000000000&PageMode=View>