Odd networking problem

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 20 16:21:27 UTC 2011

Peter,

> Browsing the networking configuration plist, I *did* find that the router's
> mac address associated with the ethernet port isn't correct. That might make
> a difference, if I could figure out how to change it (short of blind-typing
> over the configuration file which I'm hesitant to do without having a better
> idea of what's going on in the internals).

This is layer 1 or layer 2 issue.  It odd though it works when you
boot into a live CD environment..

Try this.

On the OSX console - You can reach it by searching for "terminal"
using spotlight - type

sudo arp -ad en0
or
sudo arp -a -d en0

That will remove all arp entry in your arp table and allow OSX to
repopulate it.  Use IP when testing for connectivity. As in, ping your
default gateway by IP.  If this does not work, I would advice you try
replacing your ethernet cable.  Alternatively, try setting up a
wireless setup and see if you have better luck there

William