External USB Blu-Ray drives under Linux?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 20 15:50:31 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:37:53AM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Yeah, that may be the way to go. On further research, Blu-Ray appears not
> to be all that reliable for archival storage. Apparently the limiting
> factor with hard drives is that the lubrication fails after a year or so
> of sitting on the shelf, so you have to use a HD to keep it working.
>
> Hard drive is definitely the way to go for local backup. Removeable hard
> drive might also be the best alternative for off-site backup. I'm also
> going to look at solid state.

Well, if you're looking into SSD, then money is not a problem.  In that
case, here is $1200 15TB raid5 solution:
    - LianLi EX-50 <http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_207&item_id=031699>
    - Hitachi 3TB <http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_210_212&item_id=035472>
I think 16TB is the max for block device right now.
--
William