Odd networking problem

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 19 03:22:33 UTC 2011

Here's one for the experts.

I have a netbook running OS X. The ethernet connection to my router is reported
to be good, but I can't ping the router, much less connect to the net. Nor can I
see the netbook from other computers on the LAN.

Normally, I'd think this was a DNS problem. As far as I can tell (I don't know
much about OS X), it isn't; the nameservers work for all the other computers on
the network, so they should be okay.

Routing? Well, according to netstat -nr, the default route does have the IP address
of the router. I tried adding the default route manually anyway, just to see, but
no difference.

At this point I'd suspect the cables or the hardware. The cables work fine with
other computers, though. To check the hardware on the netbook I put sysrescuecd
on a USB stick and booted from that. The ethernet connection runs perfectly with
no fuss or feathers at all.

Now I'm at that place known to us all: Wit's End. Any suggestions for what to try
next? (Other than "install Linux instead of OS X" -- it's my daughter's computer,
not mine, otherwise I would have done that long ago.)

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42