Remembering yesteryear

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 21:36:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 04:36:59PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
>> On 11-03-15 10:41 , Christopher Browne wrote:
>> > Recalling some of the "hot topics" of Linux past...
>> > http://xach.livejournal.com/286549.html
>>
>> Oh man, a.out to elf ... that was such a huge one at the time.
>
> Wasn't that what killed of SLS.  They didn't want to change so Slackware
> was created as SLS with ELF instead of a.out.  At least that's what my
> vague memory of the situation is.

Slackware had a big "discontinuity" at that point too, and a lot of
people (myself included) switched over to Red Hat at that time because
Red Hat made the switch to ELF, when Slackware/Patrick Volkerding was
reluctant/slow to do so.

I upgraded my Slackware system to use ELF, mostly in place, which
partly worked.  The degree to which that was less than "all" and
"completely" led to my shift to RH.  These days, it would be futile to
try to do an in-place upgrade of that sort of thing, as disk space is
so much more voluminous and cheap.

The wikipedia page on Slackware suggests the same transition was what
lead from SLS->Slackware, so it's conceivable I'm misrecollecting.  I
never did use SLS; that was a tiny bit before my time.