Secure portal, extranet

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 17:11:25 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

The solutions depend on a couple of requirements; mostly how complicated the
permissions scheme and how flexible or open to new tools the users are.

I see three levels of solutions that people tend to use in these cases:

- For a simple permission scheme (everything shared in one user group), going
with Linux users and ssh (sftp/scp) or ftp over ssl. A new software client for
the user like winscp or cyberduck is not hard to grasp since they look like
Windows explorer, still some end users don't like to use anything new and prefer
to use just the browser.

- A intermediate case of using something a little more "friendly" for
non-technical people like WebDAV, or with other features like versioning or
dealing with locking by using SVC software like svn.

- A "web portal" solution. A lot of people choose http://www.alfresco.com/ (I
haven't used or looked deep into it). For critical data I wouldn't trust popular
PHP-based web apps, they tend to have security issues
frequently http://wordpress.org/news/category/security/ , http://drupal.org/security .
 Plus PHP is often a pain to upgrade when a vulnerability in it is discovered,
breaking older code.

I suggest looking at encryption too (you can store encrypted data off-site and
use a cloud service). A Waterloo-based start-up has a solution for easy sharing
encrypted files: http://ithinksecurity.com/ (web site still in progress but they
demo'ed their working product to me and I was very impressed).

Fernando Duran
http://fduran.com