Secure portal, extranet

Eric Battersby gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 10:53:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 02:02:30PM -0700, William Park wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone have any thoughts about what software to choose to set up  an
> >> extranet or secure portal for off-site people to exchange files  and
> >> information securely?  I am not finding anything obvious, and  guidance
> >> would be most appreciated.  Thanks!
> >
> >ssh ?
>
> It's a good thought, but I have not seen an SSH client for windows that
> someone could use for information exchange without a lot of
> understanding not native to windows users in general.

You wouldn't need to use the SSH client for information
exchange, but to establish the connection.  Have the Windows
users run PuTTY to SSH login to your server while port
forwarding a local port, say 8080, to localhost:80 on your
server (assuming port 80 is not publicly visible).

Then have them perform the information exchange on your private web
server using their browser, eg: http://127.0.0.1:8080 .

--
Eric Battersby