openoffice is dead?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 6 23:34:52 UTC 2011

A couple of years ago I pushed Open Office to my spouse, who was using
Microsoft Office at the time. It was not successful, and I got an earful
then and on many subsequent occasions about multiple inadequacies of Open
Office.

More recently, needing something for her Mac and daunted by the outlay for
MO, she tried OO again and really liked it.

I haven't much noticed these improvements, it does what we need to do for
spreadsheets, wordsmithing and presentations. But I guess they've been
enhancing the product over that time.

On one occasion I was in the lineup at Canada Computers and noticed the
guy ahead of me was spending a Vast Fortune on Microsoft Office stuff. I
really had to bite my tongue not to advise him to try OO. The Canada
Computer people probably would have thrown me into the street.

Peter

> William Park wrote:
>> Sun did openoffice just to embed their Java into it.  Honestly, I don't
>> know why people are using OpenOffice.  For God's sake, get the real
>> thing, and support Microsoft Inc.
>
> I think there is a smiley face missing from the above.
>
> If Microsoft came out with Office for Linux I might consider using it,
> but,
> I'm quite happy with OpenOffice so I don't see much reason to switch to
> something else.

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325