openoffice is dead?

Marcelo Cavalcante kalibslack-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 2 17:28:14 UTC 2011

Actually openoffice.org is not dead.

I'm not sure what will happens to the project.

In fact, the community gave up the project for lack of support from Oracle.
Oracle has blocked many ideas from the community that develops the
openoffice.org. They decided to separate the project and act without Oracle
so they could improve the software and use their ideas. They asked Oracle to
donate them the brand OpenOffice.org, but Oracle did not. So they created
the new project called LibreOffice as an independent foundation.

I'm not sure what will Oracle do with OpenOffice.org. But now the old
OpenOffice.org's developers are working on this new project.

I'm already using LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. In fact, for now, is
almost the same thing. LibreOffice now is just OpenOffice with some extra
code.

Even Canonical is helping this new project. Canonical is using of its
employees to work on this project full time. He worked for Oracle and knows
very well the code of OpenOffice. His name is Bjoern Michaelsen.

Let's wait to see what will happen now.

;]
---
-  °v°   Marcelo Cavalcante Rocha / Kalib
- /(_)\  ITIL V3 Foundation Certified | Certified Scrum Master
-  ^ ^   Usuário Linux #407564 / Usuário Asterisk #1148
- GNU-Linux - Livre, Poderoso e Seguro
- TUX-CE Member - www.tux-ce.org
- KDE Brasil Member
- TLUG Member - Toronto Linux User Group
- http://www.marcelocavalcante.net